Saturday, December 22, 2007

So much to tell, so little time!

I started back to work a few weeks ago so now the very small amount of free time I do have is usually spent cleaning bottles, baby clothes and the nightmare that is our house. I mean, seriously, what did we do with all the open space before we had kids? My mom put together the exersaucer this week so that's one more thing to add to the living room madness. I'm not too sure what the boys think of it yet. They kind of sit in it and concentrate on keeping their heads up...it's pretty funny.
The boys are quickly approaching the 6-month mark which I can't believe except for the fact that they are CONSTANTLY hungry. I really do think it's time to start solids because these guys down a 6-ounce bottle in about 5 minutes flat and are looking at me like, "That was the appetizer, now where's the good stuff?". Unfortunately our 6-month appointment with the Pedi isn't until January 16th so I may be making a call to the office to get the go-ahead before then. Of course, this brings up a whole new obsession for me...baby food. I went through a whole crisis about plastic bottles (which I finally solved with the Drop Ins) and now this. I want to be super-mom and make all my baby food which actually doesn't sound like it's too hard (if anyone out there has done this, please give me your thoughts) but, realistically, I know that I may not always have time for that. So, I've begun the search for organic baby foods and it looks like there are some pretty good options out there. I am in love with this line called Homemade Baby. You've probably seen it - they sell it at SuperTarget (aka the best place in the world). Everything about this company makes me have warm-fuzzies. There's also Earth's Best which they sell at Tom Thumb and all the "granola" stores. It's probably a little cheaper and easier to find but doesn't quite have the warm-fuzziness of Homemade Baby. And of course, Gerber makes an organic line of food as well. I tried talking to Jack about this last night and he looked at me like I was crazy. He doesn't quite get the whole organic thing - he also doesn't get recycling. So, opinions are welcome on this topic. I figure I'm going to buy a little bit of everything and just see what the little duo likes. My luck, they will both like something different.

Can you believe Christmas is on Tuesday? I have NO IDEA how December crept up on me. Thank goodness for Ofoto because, not to spoil the surprise, but everyone is getting pictures of the boys for Christmas. They will put a picture on just about anything you can imagine and suckers like me will eat it up - it's great. I have not been to a store to buy a single Christmas present - this is probably the best Christmas ever! Now the question is how long will pictures of the boys be an acceptable present??

So, updates on the boys...Jacob's reflux seems to be a little better (knock on wood). He has not spit-up significantly at all this week (or the nanny isn't telling me about it), so that is a step in the right direction. Luke is going to get another opinion on his crazy head before we go forward with the helmet. That appointment is next Friday so we will see what they have to say. I'm pretty positive they will say the same thing so he will probably be debuting his helmet sometime in January. Other than that, the boys are really working on sitting up. Luke just about has it mastered and Jacob isn't far behind him - such big boys!

This is Jack (although you can't see him) sitting on our bed with the boys having a serious discussion...

Luke and Jacob making plans...

This weekend it's my mom's birthday on Saturday and my friend Lauren's (aka Tonka) birthday on Sunday so it will be a weekend of festivities before more festivities on Monday and Tuesday.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Suzanne! I made Tyler's food for a while and it wasn't hard. I made batches and batches of sweet potatoes and green beans. But Tyler didn't care for my cooking (go figure!) I followed the book "Super Baby Foods." Since Tyler hated my cooking I tried all of the organic brands and he preferred Earths Best over all the other ones. It's crazy how he has preferences already!! Now that he's on table foods I'm making 90% of his food but he'll still eat stage 2 fruits if I am in a crunch or on the go. I'd be happy to talk baby food with you anytime! Just email me! sandarita at gmail dot com.

Amy McCown said...

I can not believe how big the boys are now. It sounds like they are ready for food. I tried making my own baby food to give Layton more variety and he did not really seem to like it. I also have the Super Baby foods book. It is very indepth. I did not follow it religously, but I liked the reference charts and the suggestions for what foods to introduce each month. She does introduce some foods (nuts and eggs) a little earlier than the doctor suggested so be aware of that. I usually bought either the Earth's Best and Gerber Organic foods. I did find variety packs of the Earth's Best food at Babies R Us and I think that they were cheaper than buying them individually. Layton was slow to move to table foods and hated the stage three foods, so we used the stage 2 for awhile. Good luck.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers