Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Back from Blog Hiatus

So, the blog has obviously been on hiatus...but we're back. We've made a few changes here and there but nothing too drastic. We hope you enjoy. We did disable the comment feature but we added our personal emails on the sidebar so please feel free to email us.

What have we been up to? Kids, that's what. We keep thinking that as the boys get older this parenting thing gets easier but really it just changes. It's not really harder and definitely not easier but there are new challenges constantly. The boys are starting to want out of their stroller in public places - especially Jacob. We attempted to go to the Ft. Worth Stock Show last weekend and that really was just a disaster. First of all, it was REALLY cold but I knew that most of the barns (or whatever they're called) were heated so I thought we'd be ok once we got inside. But, everyone was in such a bad mood from being in the cold from the car to the barn that we really just started off on the wrong foot. Then, there were TONS of people there which makes navigating a stroller pretty difficult. So, we attempted to let Jacob get out and walk around but he just wanted to eat the hay. Oh my goodness. I decided at that moment we needed kiddie leashes. I've always made fun of parents I see using these things but now I totally get it. But before I rushed out to buy the cute camo ones I found online I emailed my twin-mommy friend, Jessica, to get her thoughts and I'm so glad I did. I agree with her that the leashes would really just be a band-aid to the problem because they really need to learn how to be out of their stroller in public places and not run away. So, we're going to practice this outside and at the mall (on low-traffic days) and see what happens. Be on the lookout for progress reports soon.

The boys are getting better with their one-nap schedule but they are still not taking the three hour naps I was dreaming about. I'm still holding out hope for this one. The one nap thing has made it a bit easier to go out and do stuff with friends, run errands, go to the doctor a billion times, etc. Seriously, we went to the Pedi three times the week the boys had RSV. Anyway, it's still something a little different on a daily basis. Right now we are going a little stir-crazy because we've been inside the house for two days straight because of the "horrible" weather. Everything is starting to melt right now so I have big plans for an outing later today. I have no idea where we're going yet but we're going somewhere!

I met with the Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) people last week about Jacob's language delay. They basically just went over the program and had me fill out LOTS of paperwork and then they are coming back in a couple of weeks to do his actual evaluation. He is also having his hearing checked next week but, as I said previously, I don't really think that's a problem. I have noticed in the last few weeks that he seems to be making more sounds (my mother claims that he said "airplane" but I am a bit suspicious of this) and trying to make the connection with sounds and objects. So, hopefully the Developmental Specialist was right and he has just been really focused on walking.

Luke, on the other hand, is still talking up a storm. His absolute FAVORITE thing to talk about is "Melmo" (Elmo). We talk about Melmo constantly - when we see a book with Elmo on it, when we want Elmo Live to talk, when Elmo is on TV, when we see Elmo on the side of the graham cracker box, when we're eating or doing absolutely nothing that has to do with Elmo at all. It's great - I want to scream at Elmo sometimes. His other favorite thing to say is "uh-oh". Uh-oh pretty much covers any and every thing you could possibly be talking about. Apparently it is the universal word for all possible scenarios. We have started to work on using "please" and "thank you" signs with the boys which is pretty darn cute. Jacob refuses to use them on his own but we still use the signs and hope he will pick it up. Luke has figured out that if he says "BEEEEZ" (please) he can pretty much get whatever he wants. Thank you hasn't come quite as easily but we'll get there.

Elmo - mommy's nemesis


I am also starting to realize that their school year at Sunshine School will be over before we know it. I have been going to work while they are at MDO which has been great but I need to start looking for a MDO they can go to in the summer as well. Anyone have thoughts on this? We need something in Dallas and preferably on my way to work (that's not too picky, right?). If I can't find another MDO program then I may go the nanny route again - I don't know. Apparently I also need to start thinking about pre-school programs but I just can't even imagine them being old enough for that! Who knew those things were so competitive??

Those are all my updates and complaints for now! I did find a great new book that I want to talk about but that will have to be next time...
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers