Tuesday, May 22, 2007

At least I don't mind hospital food...

I was keeping such a positive outlook and was convinced that I would not end up on bed rest, but unfortunately that was not the plan for us. People like me do not need to be on bed rest - I am too much of a busy-body. Maybe that's why I ended up here, though. Anyway, so I went in for my 25-week appointment and was thinking that the only eventful thing that would happen would be my Glucose Screening Test which, by the way, was nasty but not too terrible. Unfortunately the babies had more exciting things in mind for us (or should I say my uterus). I've been consistently having Braxton Hicks contractions over the last few weeks but not so much that my doctor was very worried. Long story short, after I got back to work my doctor herself called to ask if I could be back up to the hospital in the next hour. What?? My fetal fibronectin test came back positive which can be a sign of pre-term labor and once I got here we found out that my cervix had thinned to 27 mm. This is at the very low end of acceptable for someone at 25 weeks pregnant. So I got a steroid shot (for the babies lungs) in the rear-end and some other shot that made me feel like I had just run a marathon. Luckily the medication they have me on now doesn't make me feel that way but seems to be helping control the contractions. I will get another fun steroid shot this afternoon and more monitoring the babies. They, by the way, seem to be handling this like champs - don't seem to be affected at all. When I was wheeled over the the Perinatologist yesterday they also did a quick measurement of the babies who are now weighing in at almost 2 lbs each. That's definitely a good sign. So, I will be just chillin at Presby until they wheel me back over to the Perinatlogist on Thursday morning to check my cervix again. In the meantime I'm sure it will be non-stop excitement. Luckily my dad brought up the computer yesterday so I'm at least able to keep up with work and the outside world...thank goodness for the world of technology!

1 comment:

Alexis said...

Oh no suzanne! I hope you and the babies are doing okay! We'll keep you guys in our prayers! Be sure to keep us updated!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers