Sunday afternoon, D and G came over to see the boys for Darrell's actual birthday (8/3). Darrell spent an hour or so making funny faces and noises with the boys. They thoroughly enjoyed that.
On Monday evening, Suzanne, myself, and the boys went to the mall for their favorite meal, Chick-Fil-A. Upon returning home, we had a pretty big scare with me. My blood sugars dipped to a VERY low level and they wouldn't come back up. For those not familar with diabetes, there are three states to being a diabetic: normal (blood sugar level of 80-150), hypoglycemic (under 80), and hyperglycemic (over 150). The goal for every diabetic is to stay between 80-150 for as much of the day (and night) as possible. For dinner, I gave myself a specific amount of insulin to account for the green beans, chicken breast, and a hamburger on the grill. The hitch to my plan was that I was full after the chicken, so the insulin I put in my body to account for the burger was there to bring my sugar below the normal levels. It took my body about 30 minutes to recover from the hypoglycemic low. In addition to the usual confusion, sweating, and hunger that comes with hypoglycemia, my hands and feet began to tingle (which has never occurred to me). The only way to combat hypoglycemia is to eat carbs (sugar). The scary part about this episode was that it took us a LOT of carbs to get me to the normal level. Usually, a glass of orange juice will do just fine. After a panicked call to my parents for guidance (my Dad is a Type 2 diabetic and my Mom is a Diabetic Educator), things settled-down and my blood sugars leveled-out.
To complete my diabetes diatribe, I'd like to educate the readers on the pitfalls of diabetes. Diabetes is tricky in that you are only safe if you are between 80-150. If you are under 80, the aforementioned hypoglycemia kicks-in. While the long-term physical effects are minimal (you won't lose a limb or a kidney), your brain is affected during this period. When your sugars are above 150, your body is susceptible to all kinds of horrible things, such as heart problems, stroke, loss of limbs (poor blood flow), kidney problems, etc.
From talking with many doctors and reading various articles, a cure for diabetes is about 15 years away. I encourage each person to give their money and/or time to the American Diabetes Association (http://www.diabetes.org/) or other research-based programs.
With that said, I am extremely pleased with my "progression" as a diabetic since my pancreas was removed in March 2007. I have learned to control my sugars (by, unfortunately, cutting-out most Gatorade and my 5-cokes-a-day habit) and regulate the proper insulin amounts I should have, based on both my blood sugars and what I plan to eat. I go back to my Endocrinologist, Dr. Audrey Miklius, on September 2nd.
Tuesday brought-forth a new and wonderful day. I woke-up feeling really good and went to work. Suzanne took the boys to meet some friends at the Dallas Museum of Art. One of the things we wish for our boys is that they will be cultured. We want them to have access to many people, places, and things so they can be the most informed people they can. Suzanne was met by Heather and Claire Smith (friends from church), Beth & Andrew & John Gillespie (next door neighbors), and a friend of Beth's.
Enjoy the attached pictures from the weekend, the tub, and the DMA.
**Mimi - thank you for the Meatloaf recipe for the twins!
The Love Bugs at Bunny and Granddaddy's house for Saturday lunch
Jacob at his happiest: the tub
Jacob taking-up most of the tub
Luke at the DMA with friends Claire Smith and John Gillespie
Jacob investigating the toys at the DMA
Lukie playing with a magnifying glass

2 comments:
Hi Guys! As always your blog does not disappoint. It might dissuade me from kiddos anytime soon (does EVERY day start by 530??) but it doesn't disappoint!
Jack, I must say I'm not very diabetes-educated, thanks for the info. I'm so glad you're feeling better. How scary is an episode like that for you both?!
You guys are , indeed, the 4 whitest people on earth :) James could be part of your family!
And can I come live in that kickin' playroom? Sweet!
Thanks for sharing the boys' and your family photos. They are adorable and enormous! Suzanne I was also shocked and appalled - good one :)
Take care guys!
Christine
I am so sad I couldn't make it to the DMA. Email me again though. I can't believe how big the boys have gotten. Man, I need the church renovation stuff to beb over with so I can see yall. Hope all is well.
Post a Comment