Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Big Day

**Pictures are of Jack/Jacob and Grandpa Darrell/Luke.

First of all, this is Jack stepping-in for Suzanne as the author of this blog (at least for the next two or three entries until she feels better).


On July 3rd, I stayed with Suzanne because offices are closed on July 4th. We enjoyed a quiet evening of watching an Amish documentary. During the night, Suzanne began to have some discomfort that we attributed to the increasing size of the boys. After a nice evening of sleep, I decided to head home to shower-up before lunch. The Tate's were planning on bringing Grandmother over for a 4th of July feast.



Upon returning to the hospital, Suzanne was experiencing increased discomfort, which turned-out to be labor pains. The nurse called Dr. Nokleberg to check on Suzanne. Dr. Nokleberg came-by and told us that Suzanne was 6 cm dialated and that we would be parents in less than two hours.


The labor and delivery team whisked Suzanne, Gail and myself down to the pre-op area to get her epidural put-in. Before long, Suzanne and I were staring at each other in the delivery room
completely FREAKED OUT that this was happening. The whole experience was completely surreal. Aside from the realness of our family doubling, there were triple the amount of medical personnel in the operating room because each child requires a full NICU team to be on-hand for immediate attention. To get us through this, we turned to prayer and asked blessings on our new family and Suzanne's current medical situation. After about five minutes, we heard the cry of the first twin, Jacob. One minute later, we heard Luke come into this world and we were relieved to know that both of our boys were okay!


Here are their vitals:


Jacob William Patterson
3 lbs, 14 oz
2:42 p.m. on 7/4/07



Luke Charles Patterson
3 lbs, 10 oz
2:43 p.m. on 7/4/07


Suzanne and I then got to converse (briefly) with each boy and give them their first kisses. Next, I escorted them to the NICU, while Suzanne stayed behind to get stitched-up. The entire staff at Presby was VERY professional and efficient. Both boys were placed on C-PAP machines (the same machines that are used for people with sleep apnea) to help open-up their lungs. Both boys have Suzanne's kinky-curly hair and Jack's long feet.


After I was sure they were in good hands, I went down to greet the gathering of friends and family. Thank you to Laura Robertson, Olena Reid, the DeHay family, Lauren, Alison, and Dana Vaughn for sharing this special time with all of us. Of course, we are SO thankful for our families. The support we've received over the last few months shows us how much we are loved. Family members in attendance included Darrell and Gayle, Pam and John, Erica, Julie, Jeffrey, and Grandmother Lanier.


No one could put in words what it means to love a child, let alone two! Unequivically, this was the best day of our lives. We love Jacob and Luke with all of our hearts and we are so blessed to have the rest of our lives to spend with them.


We are going to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary on Friday, July 6th. Obviously, this will be our favorite anniversary ever!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for you and so glad everyone is healthy! The boys are precious and we can't wait to see them in person. We are praying for you all and can't wait to come baby-sit. Love to you both, Leeanne and Jason

Anonymous said...

Suzanne, Jack, Jacob & Luke,

We are ringing our bells for you today! Congratulations!! I will be praying for all of you. You all look GREAT! Can't wait to see everyone.

Love, Emily Montgomery

Alexis said...

YEA!! How cool that they will get fireworks for their birthday every year...I usually just got balloons! :> I'm glad everyone is doing well. Congrats to you both.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you both! The boys look great. Ashlee and I are glad that everyone is healthy. Enjoy your anniversary too!

Ken

Anonymous said...

Jack, Suzanne, Jacob and Luke,

We're so glad everyone is healthy! Our prayers are with you and the boys. We can't wait to meet them!

Mark, Tara, Hannah and Drew

P.S. Jack, how many times have you said "Luuuuke, I am your faaatherrrr" so far?

leslie said...

Congratulations to the new family of four! We are so excited for you and will continue to pray for good health and strong babies!

Love,
James, Leslie, Kaitlyn and Cora Mayo

MereMoore said...

what an awesome account of the birth of your boys! i love that it is in the words of their daddy! i am so thankful for their safe arrival and hope you have a very short NICU visit. just remember-those NICU nurses are great and really get those babies on a good schedule! can't wait to come see ALL of you!!

Pam said...

Dr. Green, Regina, and the rest of the NICU will take such good care of the boys. I can't wait to meet sweet Jacob and Luke!!

Pam Brown
www.zaneisaac.com

Anonymous said...

Those boys have stolen a piece of my heart that I don't know if I will ever get back. I had no idea you could love someone so much who you just met! Luke and Jacob will be spoiled rotten by their Auntie E!!!! I love all 4 of you very much. I'm so proud of you for making it as long as you did. I know it was hard, but it was worth it, b/c they're doing SO well!!! Love, ET

amy said...

congratulations to you both! those are two precious boys and glad that everyone is healthy. i've been watching your site from alexis kennedy's. congrats again, amy (malone) martin

Anonymous said...

To the Patterson Family:

While I have only met Jack, I know from meeting him that Suzanne, Jacob and Luke are in good hands and that lots of love and good fortune awaits them.

The boys are adorable! Thanks so much for sharing your story, it is very touching.

God bless you and best wishes.

Kathi Kennedy

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Susanne & "the boys" are in the good hands of our Lord God Almighty and we are sure of quick recovery and great life ahead!!

May the Lord bless you and your family.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers