Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Random Assortment

So, I realized the other day that I haven't talked much lately about what the boys are doing right now. Since this blog is supposed to take the place of me actually writing these things down in a book somewhere I figure I better get to it or I will most definitely forget. So, there won't be any pictures in this post but I'm pretty sure Jack has posted enough pictures lately to last everyone until at least next week.

Food - I hope all children are as strange as my children are about food. Some days they LOVE peanut butter sandwiches and other days they HATE them...want absolutely nothing to do with them. Same thing with grilled cheese and grapes and bananas and just about everything else you can imagine. The only things they always love are Natural Cheetos (somehow the "natural" makes me feel a little better about letting them eat these), Teddy Grahams, those Gerber yogurt melt things and Goldfish which I get the feeling are on their way off the list. When Jacob doesn't like something he throws it all on the floor - so much fun for mommy & daddy. Luke usually just leaves the food he doesn't like on his tray - so sweet.

Words - Luke has compiled a small vocabulary of words: mama, dada, BALL, BALL, BALL, BALL, BALL, light, baby, mine, no, bottle, bye-bye, night night - that's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there are more. Jacob has his own little language that we completely do not understand. This really concerned me at first but Dr. Neely said it's no big deal and Lauren said that too so I feel ok with it right now. When he WANTS to he can say mama, dada and bottle. He probably has other words in that little head but he just doesn't feel like using them right now. And that pretty much sums up Jacob's personality.

Speaking of personalities, it constantly amazes me how different their personalities are and how so many strangers ask me about their personalities. Jacob is more of an introvert. He's quiet and independent and doesn't want to be messed with. Luke is exactly the opposite. He is LOUD, jovial and boisterous and really doesn't want to play alone - he constantly wants to know what everyone else is up to. He loves to love on his brother and figure out what bugs him. I really think he knows that Jacob doesn't like to be messed with so he does it anyway to bug him. I think there may be some bullying in Luke's future...I mean that in the nicest way possible.

What else? Jacob is really into taking things out of drawers, cabinets, baskets, etc. and then putting them back and taking them out again. He can be occupied with this for quite a while. Luke likes pushing things around all over the house (with his lovie in hand) and climbing. He pushed one of their chairs over to the coffee table this weekend and climbed on top. Oh no! They are pretty close to figuring out how to open doors too so child-safety door knobs are on my to-do list this week. When did they get so tall? They have figured out how to open the bottom oven in the kitchen so I guess it's a good thing that we don't ever use it. Seriously the new adventures never end for these kiddos. Just when we think we've got them all figured out they learn something new to keep us on our toes.

Whew! That's a lot of stuff. I'm sure there's something I'm leaving out but at least I've got all this out of my head for now.

P.S. How did everyone survive the time change with their kiddos? I don't remember that being as big of an issue last year but I think we're past the worst of it now...I hope!

4 comments:

Alli said...

Suzanne, I get tired just reading about what you do all day. Maybe it's because I know that I'm reading about my future!

The time change was no fun at our house. We had absolute TERRORS for children on Sunday, & they've woken up early the last two mornings. Fun!

TeamRiss said...

Time change is not fun at Team Riss' house; we got up at 5:30 and are slowly moving it forward from Sunday; we're up to 6:15 now. Your boys are doing so many fun things...

Anonymous said...

I liked the time change enough to consider getting the boys up earlier than the 6am target we have set now. They popped up around 5:30 on Monday. That's not too unsuual, but I was a little more prepared for it after the time change. That extra 30 minutes was enough to do some laundry. On Tuesday I emptied the dishwasher. Wednesday and Thursday I just took everything a step slower than normal.

I just wish they would figure out a way to tell us it is time to get out of bed other than screaming. Maybe tomorrow I will wake up early and sit in my own bed and scream. They'd probably think that was funny.

Amy said...

hey suzanne! time change was not so great for us either. we had sick kids on top of the time change, so it was a double-whammie. but we're ok now.

by the way, thanks for the sweet comment you left on my blog. and brian and i feel the same way about you and jack. we need to get together sometime!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers