This is Jack with a quick update on a couple of things...actually, we took two really cute pictures tonight that PERFECTLY describe the twins' personalities.
Also, there's a cool update on my life as a diabetic. This week, I've been trying-out the Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. It's a very simple concept summed-up by three steps:
1. I put a port (needle) into my stomach that continually takes my blood sugar.
2. The port communicates to a device on my belt that tells me what my blood sugar is (which cuts-down on the number of sticks my fingers take each day)
3. I adjust my insulin/eating accordingly.
This breakthrough will make my life a million times easier in that all the information I need is on my belt 24/7. The only needles I come into contact with now are my insulin and pricking my finger in the morning and evening (to calibrate the device). Probably the best feature of the device is that it has an alarm on it. If my blood sugar gets too high or too low, the device beeps and vibrates every five minutes until you've corrected accordingly. In the short time I've had it (about 5 days), I've been woken-up during the night about 3 times because of low blood sugar. If untreated, these lows could lead to a bad hypoglycemic episode, which could include coma.
Thank the Good Lord for all these medical advancements! Our family is truly blessed. --Jack

1 comment:
I just realized that I put "Jack & Jacob" as your blog link....sorry - I'm changing it now:)
My sister's fiance is diabetic, so I passed this neat entry on to him...sounds super cool!
Post a Comment