Wow - what a day! I honestly can not remember the last time I felt so tired and emotionally drained. Around 5:15 we were called in to talk with the doctor and were so thrilled to hear that everything with the surgery went very well. They were able to get 150,000 islet cells which will hopefully be more than enough to produce the insulin his body needs. They usually like to get around 400,000 but since we only started with about 1/2 his pancreas anyway, they're happy with what they did get. We were finally allowed back to the ICU around 7:00 and I was pleasantly surprised to not be scared to death about the way he looked. Nothing like what you see on Grey's Anatomy... Although they did the epidural he is still having some fairly significant pain but definitely more manageable than his Whipple. We are only allowed in the ICU for 30 minutes at a time so we hung around for the last visiting time of the evening at 8:30 and are now back at the hotel. I was happy to see that Jack was doing some serious snoring by the time we left so I think that will help me sleep better tonight as well. Visitors are not allowed in the ICU until 10:30 AM so hopefully we will be able to sleep in before we head over in the morning. I will try not to call his nurse more than once before we get there...I will try very hard. I will definitely say that I have been so extraordinarily impressed with the people and the service at this hospital and unfortunately I have seen my fair share of hospitals. So, if you ever need any Gastrointestinal surgery performed, this is the place...just in case.
Hopefully I will have more great news tomorrow! Thank you for all your prayers!!

3 comments:
Way to go, Jack! We're thrilled to hear the surgery went well. Give Jack a high five for us (if he can't raise his arm, then just tap his fist for us). You're in our prayers, we wish we could be there with you.
JD & Erin
PS Suzanne, if you could do me one favor: when Jack gets his first solid meal, throw your hand into it like a karate chop and yell "aids".
Woohoo! I'm so happy that everything went well. You guys were in my thoughts and prayers all day yesterday. Tell Jack we're thinking of him and will continue to pray for a smooth recovery. We'll miss you guys at Bible study tonight and look forward to your return!
Give my sweet nephew a hug and tell him I love him. What an adventure for you two -- surgery and now TWO little boys. I'm so glad the surgery is over and you have something wonderful to look forward to. Remember...God is good...ALL the time :) Much love, Aunt Nancy
Post a Comment